toriathegadjeslayer posted a good article about this. The thing is TOMS is not a charity organization. It is a for profit organization. I repeat a FOR PROFIT ORGANIZATION. For every pair you buy they donate one to a kid in “need” in Africa. There are several problems with this:
- TOMS run for about $50-$60. You are paying the price of both pairs of shoes. They charge you twice as much and make twice the money under the pretense of being a charity.
- They are perpetuating the myth that children in Africa can be saved by the white guilt/white savior complex
- How the fuck is having a free pair of shoes supposed to improve these children lives? Answer: it’s not. Being given free shoes does not change that fact that these kids are poor. They don’t need motherfucking shoes they need clean water, food, quality education, job opportunities, leadership training, mentors, books, internet access, laptops, etc.
- They are perpetuating the myth that all Africans are helpless, poor, and desperate. Like everyone lives in small wooden dwellings and has to catch rainwater in buckets to be able to shower. This is not true. The majority of Africans live in large cities that look just like Chicago or New York. They have running water and electricity and shoes and they even have fancy western luxuries like Facebook. I have numerous friends from Zimbabwe, Ghana, Nigeria and Kenya who have explained that where they are from they are considered upper middle class, wealthy even. But by Western standards they are considered poor.
- In short it is rude, racist, and naive to assume that Africans
A. Are poor and can’t afford “Western” luxuries
B. Want western luxuries and western lifestyles. Some people are perfectly content to live their traditional nomadic lifestyles and catch rainwater and not wear shoes.
C. Can be saved from the poverty caused by colonialism, capitalism and institutionalized racism by receiving a pair of overpriced shoes.
This forgot the most important part: TOMS ARE MADE IN ETHIOPA UNDER “LOCAL LABOR STANDARDS” FOR SOMEWHERE AROUND 50 CENTS A PAIR, WHICH MEANS THERE’S A PRETTY DAMN GOOD CHANCE THAT THE GROSSLY OVERPRICED (FAIRLY HIDEOUS) SHOES YOU’RE WEARING WERE PROBABLY MADE BY THE SAME CHILDREN YOU THINK YOU’RE HELPING.
nappyedges: WHAT WHAT WHAT?!!!! I didn’t know that. I really shouldn’t be surprised. A quick google search shows that TOMS are made in China, Eithiopia, and Argentina. (You have to click product and sizing questions and then where are TOMS made) Helping children with child labor. The ultimate fail.
Also Africa is not one big country.
Also Toms support anti-gay, anti-choice groups
Double also: the shoes that are donated often wind up being sold in local markets (I’ve seen a number of reports on this from Haiti, just for example), so Toms is actually making life harder for local shoemakers who are being put out of business.
1. Until you actually tell me WHY you have an Asian fetish and WHY that is not racist at all, your points are moot.
2. Because not all Asians look alike
3. And there certainly is no uniform “culture” to really “appreciate.”
4. And until you actually address the non-homogenious nature of “Asian” appearance, your points are all immaterial.
5. And for the last time: No. Fetishes and kinks are NOT the same thing as sexual preferences. See reasons 1-4 of this post. Your arguments are BAD.
6. Basically: You are getting defensive about your own racist tendencies without stopping to consider the points you are attempt to argue. Learn to back yo’ shit up, and I will be cordial. Otherwise, I reserve the right to verbally bitchslap yo’ ass. Publicly.
see, this is something that aforementioned idiot should listen to. if you think racial equality exists because we have the same purported opportunity to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, ask if we even started at the same point, when people of color didn’t even have the same opportunities to set up a foundation for the life of this generation. you think your white grandparents got the same jobs as a person of color’s grandparents, so that they could retire and you would know they’d have access to healthcare? you think your white family was offered the same rates (or even chances) for home loans as a family of color’s so that you didn’t have to work a job through high school to meet rent? you think that your mother worrying if you’re going to get into a good college is hard enough? what if on top of that, your mother also had to worry that you might get gunned down in the street because of the color of your skin?
i’m sorry buddy, but you are wrong, and chris rock is so, so right.
“See, the black man gotta fly to get to somethin’ the white man can walk to.”
“I wonder what Ryan’s favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of “Fuck the Police”? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!…..
Don’t mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta “rage” in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he’s not raging against is the privileged elite he’s groveling in front of for campaign contributions.”
|—||Tom Morello has written a pretty bemused op-ed about Paul Ryan’s reported love for Rage Against The Machine. (via joaniecash)|
A lovely story about Romney/Ryan.
This is the best, most concise explanation of the past four years ever.
Plus, as well all know, politics are a lot like driving a car: D to go forward, R to go backward.
Ryan: “Most of our debt in the future comes from our entitlement programs.”
Senior citizen: “Hey, (Garbled; Ryan continues to speak). I paid into that for 50 years, my unemployment and my Social Security and my Medicare, and now you’re gonna…” At this point you hear the police who are dragging him out shouting, “on the ground, on the ground”.
Ryan then jokes, “I hope he’s taken his blood-pressure medication”, and the room laughs with him.
(via Addicting Info)
Interviewer: Okay. Which designers do you prefer?
Hillary Clinton: What designers of clothes?
Hillary Clinton: Would you ever ask a man that question?
Interviewer: Probably not. Probably not.
Via christinaaaah.tumblr.comDo you mind if I ask why head-dresses on actresses and models offends you? :] I’m just curious, love. I like hearing your opinions. wingstringsandsillythings
Okay this may sound a little bitchy but this is going out to ALLLLLL of Tumblr.
First off, only…